Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Steps

The summer of 2008 in southern England this year has been, by all accounts, a washout. Endless miserable rainy, gray, windswept days and nights with scarce silver linings. Now in mid-autumn the cycle appears to have broken. Since arriving in England I have not witnessed rainy or windy conditions, nor anything more intemperate than one or two cloudy skies. Mornings have been generally bright, cool, and crisp; afternoons warm, sunny, and pleasant. It's really been a treat, as I'm unaccustomed to any stretch of continuous cheerful weather in these climes.

I've taken a small room with a tiny office in a shared house on the waterfront in Soton, so I'm situated in that respect. Had a brief meeting with my sponsor, Wendy, the same afternoon, wherein we discussed supervisors, advisors, communication, and first steps. I allowed an interest in Manuel Castells writings and apprised her of a lecture Dr. Castells is due to deliver at OII in Oxford in late October. After some consideration, we agreed I'll read his "Internet Galaxy" and write a review for our next meeting on 29/9.

So here we are on 21/9 and of course that means it's EVAN'S BIRTHDAY!!! And now he's a TEEN!!! Yikes! Happy birthday to you, my beautiful boy!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I very much enjoyed hearing about your settling, the arrangements you've made, and the climate that sounds so very much like Home on the Olympic Peninsula, to me, Markleous! Even more so, I loved the picture of Evan...he is surely a beautiful teen! ... will read on thru your journal, and try to catch up! May your travels be light and cheery!